Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How to Get dye off your skin

I recently bought a new set of scrubs for school.The first time I wore them they dyed my skin black. How can I get the dye off my skin and how can I keep this from happening in the future?      
                                                          ~Future Nursing Assistant~

Dear Future Nursing Assistant,
I've had that happen before, and I know how frustrating it can be. Back then, I had few options so I simply let it wear off. Thanks to the internet, you have more options. here's some of the suggestions I found...

1.  Whether you've dyed your clothing or dyed your hair a new color, dyed skin was not the goal. Although soap and water paired with a loofah can remove the majority of dye stains on the skin, when that fails, or when abrasives aren't a good solution, using nail polish remover is a proven household stain remedy.
                 Instructions: 
Wash the affected skin with soap and water.
Dampen a cotton ball with nail polish remover. 
Rub the stained skin with the dampened cotton ball. Replace the cotton ball when it becomes saturated with dye. 
Rinse the now unstained skin thoroughly with water to remove any traces of nail polish remover. 


2.  Scrub your hands (or whatever part of your body has been stained) with hand soap, warm water and an abrasion scrubbing pad. This will remove as much dye as possible.

3. Use a lye soap to wash the remaining stains. Lye soap work well on stains because it has a high pH or acidity. Purchase a lye soap at any dye shop or crafts store. Wash skin under warm water using the lye soap and a scrubbing pad.

4. Make a scrub using the juice from a whole lemon and baking soda (use just enough baking soda to make a paste). Both the baking soda and the lemon work to "bleach" the dye, scrubbing away the color without being too harsh to your skin.


 Don't use household chlorine bleach to remove the stains, as it can irritate the skin.

Resources:

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment